I picked up the recipe for this one from this video by @notjustabartender on TikTok.
Ingredients per drink
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 oz rich Demerara syrup (see below - needs Demerara sugar, water and a bit of vodka)
- .75oz lemon juice
- 1.5oz rye (I used Rittenhouse)
- Angostura bitters
I made two drinks in one go, so I doubled these.
I tried this recipe once with a fancy scotch but it wasn't nearly as nice as the one made with rye.
Rich Demerara syrup
- Cocktail shaker (I use two metal shaker cups that fit together)
- Hand juicer
- 2 double glasses
- Small saucepan and scales bottle if making Demerara syrup
The syrup is a 2/1 ratio of sugar to water - so start with the saucepan on the scales and measure in around 20 units of Demerara sugar, then add 10 units of water.
Heat and stir to dissolve together, without boiling too much. Stir in a tiny splash of vodka. Empty into the glass bottle with the funnel and leave to cool.
Making two whisky sours
- Put the two glasses in the ice box in the freezer to chill
- Separate two egg whites. Put the egg whites in the shaker
- Add 1.5 floz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Add 1 floz rich Demerara syrup
- Add 3 floz rye
- Dry shake vigorously in the shaker. Dry shaking means shaking without ice. I went about 15 seconds. The result should be a foamy egg white mix.
- Now add ice - I added 6 cubes. Shake vigorously again - I did another 15s.
- Strain into the chilled glasses, each containing another four ice cubes (or a big square ice cube if you have them)
- Add a couple of drops of angostura bitters on the top
Created 2022-09-25T09:24:00-07:00, updated 2022-09-26T20:08:28-07:00 · History · Edit